Carstensen Farms

Sweetest Organic Strawberries in Town! Located at 490 Casa Grande Rd, Petaluma Across from Casa Grande High School

Name:
Location: Petaluma, California, United States

Map

Thursday, September 13, 2007

OPEN!!!, transplant update, stock up on honey

Hi gang!!

We will be OPEN tomorrow, Friday 9/14 @ noon. This is (so far) my only for sure open day. We will harvest and bring in as much as we can. No bets on how long I'll be open for the day. It should be a good day. My goal is to stay until 6PM with berries. I'll work very hard to make that happen because..... I don't know how many more days I have left.

Friday 9/14 OPEN
Saturday CLOSED for transplanting
Sunday possibly open if we finish transplanting Saturday
Monday should be open
Tuesday CLOSED
Wed too far out to tell

We have been transplanting since last Wednesday, 11 to 12 hrs a day starting @ 6AM with lights on the canopy boom. We are finishing our 8th block today, with an estimate of 46,000 plants tucked in the ground. We have 7,000 more to go!! It is a very intense process. I juggle things like watering ahead of where we'll plant, watering in what just was planted, soaking plants in tubs and delivering them every day (several times), taking out just what I need from the cooler (set @ 33 degrees), logging in what was planted and where we are each day, managing the crew and tractor driver, and tending to the existing patch.

After transplanting we juggle all kinds of other tasks before the rain sets in. We need to have straw down between all the rows to block out weeds. All the runners and blossoms must be pinched off each and every plant until they go dormant. The new plants and existing plants need to share the watering schedule (we can only water 1 block at a time). We fit in harvesting and sales. We monitor for spider mites and release good mite eaters, fertilize AND finally, the whole existing patch needs to be mowed, plastic removed, disked and plowed, and cover crop seeded before winter hits. Whew!!!! and we make it look simple :)

Honey, Honey!!
The O'Honey gang will bring their last batch of honey for the season on Friday. Those of you who have been enjoying this delicious honey all year can stock up for your winter needs. If you haven't tried it you are truly missing out! I have now become a "honey snob". I used to think honey was honey. Oh how wrong I was.

How long will the season last you ask??? I really won't know until we get out there tomorrow and see how many green berries are waiting to ripen. My feeling is we have about 7 sales days left (if we're lucky). I'll keep you informed.

Cheers!

Sally Strawberry

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home